Skip to main content

Independence Day: Celebrating 114 years of freedom?


Independence Day


Today, the Philippines, my ever beloved, celebrates its 114th Independence Day. But actually, I’d like to call it a commemoration of the Declaration of Independence, which reached its climax on June 12, 1898, when revolutionary leader and the country’s first president Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo hoisted the Philippine flag for the first time on the balcony of his mansion in Kawit, Cavite. However, neither the Spanish, nor the American government recognized this. Our independence was merely a “declaration,” in paper only, and not in reality.

In fact, on Dec. 10, 1898, by virtues of the Treaty of Paris, Spain ceded the Philippines to America. The Philippines was never free until the United States granted the country’s independence on July 4, 1946. We observed our independence day every fourth of July until May 12, 1962, when Pres. Diosdado Macapagal issued Presidential Proclamation 28 declaring June 12 as a legal holiday in commemoration of the country’s declaration of independence. On Aug. 4, 1964, Congress ratified trough RA 4166 July 4 as Republic Day, while June 12 as Philippine Independence Day.

According to the late Education Secretary Alejandro Roces, this act was patterned with that of the US, who declared its independence July 4, 1776. However, it wasn’t really recognized as an independent nation by Britain until 1789.

But I don’t think the same could be said for our country. In my point of view, although the US declared in independence in 1776, it has never been under the rule of any country since then, so it could truly claim its independence.  But not for the part of the Philippines. We declared our independence in 1898, but we have been colonized many times over. We fell on the hands of Americans, then to the Japanese. So, there’s really no point of calling ourselves free when in fact we’ve been colonized twice over.

This is just my point. I love my country and I am proud of my nationality. It’s my own point of what should be than what it is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to Capiz Eco-Park in Cuartero

The month of May is celebrated as National Heritage Month and the Provincial Tourism Office of Capiz wouldn’t let is pass without celebrating the occasion. After all, Capiz is a place rich in heritage. I was invited by Ang Panublion Museum director, Ms. Che del Rosario, to the Dungog Capisnon Youth Heritage Camp at Nagba in Cuartero last Saturday. By the way, my mother hails from Cuartero but I never spent more than half a day in this town. 
It was almost one-hour  trip and the weather was pretty fair. We barely noticed the time passing by because of our chatter and cheer along the way. One of the Heritage Camp’s activity is the encounter with Cultural Masters—individuals who know too well the heritage of their group or locality. Culture bearers and performers did stuffs they’re great at and the participants got the chance to hobnob with them and see the different intangible heritages of the province has to offer.

Why did I Ever Have to Care?

I wrote this when my grandmother was ailing around the same time in 2014. Reading this post I did on Facebook, I did not regret that decision...

There are times when I want to surrender through all these hardships. There are people who tell me why do I focus much on looking after my grandmother... There are people who keep on telling me about her misses and failures and faults as a human, as a wife, as a mother and as a grandmother. But I stay adamant of telling you people this. I am taking care of my sick grandmother because there is humanity in me. 

There were people who questioned my decision why do I have to rush her to the hospital. Why? Because I can't bear to sit still and do nothing when an ailing, 80-something, helpless, grieving widow suffer when I can do something to make her feel better. There are people who tell me that I am punishing myself and pushing myself to the limits in taking care of this old woman. But I tell them that God sees what I do. I sin, you sin, she si…

Enjoy the detours of life

Life is so full of detour. It's never a straight path. It's also filled with crooked lines, of rough patches, of zigzag roads, and many difficulties we all call trials. I've been through hardships and trials lately, but I hang on and kept the faith.


I can never say it's a perfect life. But I am still thankful I am still alive. I'm still here, anyway. I still get to tread the day's journey of my life. I still get to walk the path to my destination, wherever the road may lead me. In the end, I know my persistence will bear fruit. This will see me through.


Feeling low? Here are some thoughts from the great lady I call my mentor (and tormentor, LOL!), my adviser, and a very dear lady to my life, Dr. Reysa Alenzuela:


"I can read between the lines that you became such a restless soul. Got exhausted? Frustrated? Finding some deeper meaning in life? Just hold on. I myself don't have answers. I am as well wounded but my last piece of thought, just do things th…