Musings of the Son of an Alcoholic



Many, many moons and tides ago, I posted this on Facebook. I think I was  emotional distressed when I wrote this. Time to share it here on my blog because I know this message holds true not just for me but also for anyone else in difficult times. I hope this inspires you a bit to get up and keep going.

Living with an alcoholic father for years and years rings a message for me... In living with him I learned one crucial thing - never depend on anyone or anything, or else it will control your life. I've seen how he sank deep in his dependence due to many family-related issues and that is saddening. We either give in to these trials and eventually become dependent on something or someone or we can regain ourselves and remain steadfast as we march on. We owe it to ourselves to look after ourselves. Or others, if we could manage. I've also seen many people suffer from heartbreak and depression because they depended their happiness on someone and that, again, is saddening.  We can't expect others to care for us if we don't take care of ourselves. We will remain helpless and languish with it if we don't help ourselves.

I've also seen a number of people who, despite being alone in life, learned how to live with it and they thrived despite of it. I guess I’d be the latter.

For parents, don't expect too much from your children. They will marry, have family, and have a home of their own. Be thankful if they remain with you and care for you until old age but also know how to prepare yourself when time comes when the nest becomes empty and all you have beside you is your loyal attendant.

For couples, don't expect too much for your partners. There comes a time when even the sweetest love will have to leave the door, feet first. it could be heart breaking but that's how life goes. Embrace your alone-ness when that time comes.

In the end what we have are memories, so cherish it, live gracefully, love unconditionally, and build a strong connection with people around us. Everything is fleeting. After all, we die alone, so we have to embrace the fact that at a certain point, we have to live alone.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews