Gardening and beautiful memories


Sharing with you a long post of FB that I wrote  on September 11, 2021:

I have been mulching the earth, watering plants and pulling the weeds way before I learned how to read and write. I remember, my seven-year-old self would raise my own collection of "plants" on old tins and wasted rubber pots. Guess what they were? A bunch of tawa-tawa, amorsecos, and all the weeds around. For as long as they were blooming, i would pull it from the ground and transplant them on my own makeshift pots. I then arranged them at the back of my grandparents' house, tended them it's as if they were as valuable as my grandmother's orchids and annuals. My parents and grandparents would laugh at me, but they just let me be. But, hey, I felt satisfied with being my own "gardener." 

Thinking about this childhood memory now,  25 years passed by, I am still pulling weeds, mulching the earth, feeding my soil and watering the plants.  I still have some tawa-tawa around for medicinal purposes. But my choices of what to grow have also expanded as I aged. My garden is now a mix and match of vines, annuals, aroids, fruit trees, herbs and edibles, and so on, whatever that my eyes find delight. Whatever feeds my soul i take it. But i also know my limits. 

With this, I've learned this lesson. For as long as you are happy with it, plant it. You can buy it, if it makes you happy. You can ask for it and be happier if the owner gives you a shoot or cutting. I know at a glance if i like the plant. But i never let the fad take on my preferences. If it is a gift,  no matter how common, i give my attention to make that plant thrive and propagate. it's the story that goes with the plant that i remember and my memory of that person. I still have my grandparents plants with me and i try to keep them alive and thriving. So as the plants my friends and colleagues have given me. There's a story that goes with each plant.    If the plant - anything really - sparks joy within you, then keep planting. and keep thinking of that beautiful memory. 

Happy weekend! 🌱☘️🌿🌻🌻🌻🌻

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews