Last Night's Dream, a Memory

 I wrote this on Sept. 7, 2021 - a memory of a dream I've had. It was those long weeks between August and September that i was sick in my body, followed by some emotional troubles that lingered until December 2021. Thankfully, prayers, friends, family and gardening worked wonders. 




I haven't dreamed like this in ages.  I have not even slept this sound for weeks! I usually sleep with my mind awake, so I'd also wake up feeling tired. Tonight though was different. I fell  deep in my slumber that my subconsious brought me somewhere else....

 I was in place different from home. Not anywhere where I have been to before. Tired, lost, sullen. I was greasy. I walked nonstop, for days and nights. I Smelled like the earth, my clothes worn out.  I grew my beard and moustache longer than i usually do. My hair was now dry, sticky and dishevelled. I was walking for days but i treaded empty highways that cut across verdant grasslands and led to vibrant golden ricefields, the grains dancing to the gentle caress of the gentle wind as harvest time near. The sky had always been cloudy, overcast. Nighttime only the crescent moon appeared. Never a half moon or full moon. And only the north star is visible. Not other sparkling cosmic creature brightens the nighttime desolation.  I have been away from home for so long i no longer knew how home looked like or if anyone else was still waiting for me.

 I waited for a vehicle to hitch along... Many passed me by, but they didnt let me in. D-Max, Hi-Lux, jeepney, truck, hooper, carabao-driven carts and wagons. Some are shimmering and almost new, sparkling clean. Neater than i was . Others are rusty, dusty, and outdated you knew it  because it coughs and emits heavy black smoke. It was one of those type that picked me up.  a jeepney, driven a wrinkled but kind farmer with her mild-tempered wife. they took me in at 4am, i just squeezed in the little space at the back. The jeepney was already stuffed with vegetables and they're bringing it to market in the city. Finally! I will be home. I knew it when i was nearing home when i already saw familiar streets and building. The trip ended in the market and I walked a little more until finally,  the doors swung open. It was empty, except for the spiders that lived on the cobwebs they made for themselves. i heard   a sound from the backyard, someone was sweeping the dried leaves on the ground. The sound of bamboo broom sticks scratching on the cement floor all gave me the familiar soun of home.  I hastened to the kitchen and opened  the door. Morning has dawned and a blinding light came in that I covered my eyes with my arms. it seems it was the first time that i have seen the daylight for ages! And when my eyes got accustomed to the morning light, I saw the plants i raised a long time ago before i left and got lost. They were thriving and are now full of life, greeting me... The philodendrons in earthen pots were oversized! The roses profuse with vibrant red and pink blooms, just like the bougainvilleas that burst with colour and trail on the fence.  

 "You're home!" I heard a voice I havent heard for a long time. I fell into tears, howled in happiness for I knew I was home...

And then i woke up with tears on my cheeks. i cried while i was sleeping, in my dreams. I woke up feeling better, like i have never slept this deep for weeks.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews