12 Hours in Frankfurt: Finding My Way Out the Flughafen

Morning scene from Hauptwacht Station to Altstadt in Frankfurt. 

My first ever travel abroad lasted for 33 hours from the Philippines to Poland! The plane trip from Manila to Frankfurt was approximately 12 hours with a 15-hour layover until my plane flies to Wroclaw.

With more than enough time to myself it would be unwise to waste it inside the airport. So, I told myself, "Frankfurt, here I come!" Who could resist the lure of one of Germany’s biggest cities, the former seat of the Holy Roman Empire, the city with futuristic skyscrapers? Not me. I had to find my way around the Flughafen (Airport) and I thought it was adventure time.

The thought of being a lone stranger in a strange land excited me more than I had to worry about finding myway back. Good thing the Filipinos working at the airport were most helpful with the directions and in locating the ticketing station. I paid 9 euros* for a day trip of the S-Bahn, enough to let me take as many train rides as I can to go around the city. This had me thinking, why pay hundreds of euros for a tour package when you can take a day pass? With a map or an app at hand traveling can be fun and affordable! 

 The history buff in me wanted to go to Alstadt, (Old Town), Frankfurt's historic district. It is famous for the few old buildings that survived the bombings of World War II, but the government painstakingly worked to restore these structures. And look at them now - travelers from all over the world converge in Frankfurt to see them.

Public transport in Germany is very efficient. The train is comfortable and arrives and leaves as scheduled. Signages of directions are everywhere, it's easy to find your way. A little search on Google and I learned I should take S8 or S9 and get off at the Hauptwacht Station.

My short trip from the airport to Hauptwacht gave me the time and inspiration to write down my thoughts. With the gentle sunlight, pine trees, and beautiful landscape right in front of you, it's a shame to be uninspired! 

The train eases through the rails smoothly, cutting across expansive pine forests, making its way through dimly-lit tunnels, and passing by cottages and then houses and tall and taller buildings. This is unfamiliar. But the feeling isn’t strange. I am where I wanted to be. Guten morgen, Deutschland! 


The marker outside Liebfrauenkirche, a Gothic Roman Catholic Church in the heart of Frankfurt. 

The construction of Liebfrauenkirche was an ongoing activity from the 14th until the 16th century. It is now a monastery church. 


The Maine River

* as of August 2017

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews