#FridayNightWritersSeries: Allana Delgado, Librarian, Blogger, Creative Writer


My featured writer for this week's edition of the #FridayNightWritersSeries is a good friend of mine who has achieved so much at a young age. She is Allana Delgado and she topped the Librarians' Licensure Examination in 2015, won a fellowship grant to the 84th World Library Congress held in Kuala Lumpur in 2018, and was selected as one of the Emerging International Voices by the Goethe Institut, the Federal Republic of Germany’s cultural institute. 

Allana unleashes her creative genius in her blog, Malditang Librarian, where she writes about "a broad range of topics concerned with librarianship, books, and reading." She also uses this platform to share "book reviews, various posts on reading, creativity, librarianship, trends, and related news."

 An active member of the Iloilo Bloggers Society, she contributes to the IBS Digital Network. She has also self-published two chapbooks, "Pleiades upon Stones and Other Stories" in 2017, and "Atlantis: Stories and Poetry" in 2018, aside from researching and co-authoring scholarly articles published in international peer-reviewed publications.

 1. How did you discover that you have the passion and the talent for writing?

I wasn't much of a reader when I was young, but when I was in high school I started reading. I remember the first book I ever bought was Danton Remoto’s poetry collection, Pulotgata. I started reading novels and short stories by authors like Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman, Catherynne Valente, and Caitlin R. Kiernan. 

It was a teacher that actually inspired me to write. I had written an essay for class and she noted that I had potential in writing. I was surprised that she said that about my writing and I thought, I’m not too bad at it and I actually have something to say. I am a very quiet and introverted person when you meet me, it takes me a while to open up and I am much more comfortable in the written word. 

I have a blog, malditanglibrarian.com, about librarians and librarianship in the Philippines. I also write fiction, usually short stories, and my dream is to write novels.

2. What do you usually do when you write? Could you share with us your routine when you’re writing one of those stories?

It usually starts with an idea. There are different ways I start writing, sometimes the words come effortlessly, sometimes I need an outline to follow. I usually write from half an hour or more then take breaks. Editing usually takes more thought and time than actually writing - I correct mistakes, change sentences or phrases to what makes them sound better.

I also focus on characters, especially on fictional stories. Characters and how they are fleshed out is the core element of a story. Readers want to read about characters they can relate to, or a character’s experience. 

3. You have published some zines. Could you tell me what aspect of writing do you find happiest or most fulfilling?

I have joined the Iloilo Zinefest twice. For those who may not be familiar with the concept of zines, here’s a definition:

“A zine (/ˈziːn/ ZEEN; short for magazine or fanzine) is most commonly a small-circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images. Usually zines are the product of a single person, or of a small group.  A zine is a cheaply-made, cheaply-priced publication, often in black and white, which is mass-produced via photocopier and bound with staples.

Most zines revolve around a music scene of some sort, but others are dedicated to artwork, poetry, cartoons, editorials and short stories. Because zines do not have any sort of corporate backing, they are very rugged, individualized, and much more charismatic than larger, more popular magazines whose content is often dictated by their advertisers. (Definition from urbandictionary.com)”

I love that zines have this DIY creative spirit that you can’t find in traditional publications. Though zines can be anything from poetry to artwork, I chose to write short stories and compile them in small chapbooks. I also like that through these events, I have met other artists and writers and I feel like I am part of a community. 

4. I have read Pleiades upon the Stones and Atlantis, and I liked how you retold the myth of the creation. Your other stories reflect a feeling of longing and emotions that desire to come out and be expressed. Does this reflect the way you also feel about yourself? And where do you get all these inspirations that you weave into these stories?

The stories I write usually reflect something I feel, an experience, or an emotion that I can resolve by writing a story about it. My favorite short story I wrote is Sirens, which is about two college students chasing after a mermaid-like creature. It was meaningful to me as it reflected my experiences and emotions at that time, though it is not obvious to the reader. It can be interpreted in many ways, but in writing it I tried to convey the feeling of loneliness, like you don’t belong, and longing for an experience that is outside the norm. Growing up, I always felt like an ‘outsider’ in many ways, and in my stories I write about the same type of people. 

Most of the time, an idea, setting, or concept comes to me. I take notes, research, and explore more than start writing.

However, writing is always evolving. My style now is different from my earlier years of writing. I always try to write things that sound poetic, I am particular with the arrangement of words and phrases to create a feeling or image in the mind. 

5. What tips could you give to aspiring writers?

Good writers start as great readers. Make books your best friend. Study how authors write and form their sentences and stories. You may be inspired and try to emulate your favorite writers. I also started by ‘copying’ the style of writers I admire, but you will also soon find your own voice and style. Just start writing and practicing, because you will learn along the way.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews