Why working hard is not enough

Hard work... it's just not enough

The online world is so replete with opportunities for people who work hard. Sites like Craigslist, Elance and Odesk guarantee a steady stream of employment for the skilled. That’s good news for those who don’t want to get trapped in the 9-6 working hours inside the office cubicle. You can find almost any job online, from writing to web designing to research and virtual assistance. The problem, however, is the job tenure does not guarantee longevity. You may be employed for a specific company today, tomorrow, next week or until next month. But it’s not guaranteed if you can still have your work next year or next, next year. The perks of health insurance and retirement plans are also not covered in the online environment, so you have to pay for it yourself.


But if the thought of a flexible schedule and manageable work load is what you really want, then working online is the right one for you. I have been working online since 2008 and I have never regretted a single dime why I chose this field, instead of applying for an office post--or going back to fulltime teaching. However, as I have mentioned earlier, I have also encountered that feeling when a client terminates your service without notice beforehand.

But I lingered and went on.

Then…

I realize that it’s not enough to work hard.  Yes, it’s good to work hard but it’s even better (if not best_ to work hard and work smart.

Here’s what I did.

I diversified my portfolio and delegated the tasks.

I used to work for only one boss. Now, I work for three, four, five, six bosses.

I would contract clients abroad, then hire people (the best people) to help me do the work. Of course, I would do some stuffs, but not all stuffs because I know I can’t do all of them. Instead, I have a team right behind me to help me meet the standards and demands of the clients.

Now, I don’t feel the stress of hard work. Instead, I’m starting to reap the benefits of working hard and smart.

So, instead of keeping myself busy all day and all night working for one client, I get to spend part of my day working on some projects, then another part on booking new clients, talking to prospects, and editing the work of my staff. That way, I get to ensure the growth and development of my small business.

My goal right now is to book at least one client a month. Or two, if I’m lucky enough.

How about you? Do you work hard? Or do you work smart?

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews