5 Lessons on Reaping and Sowing

You sow what you reap. Image: AndySacker.com

The seeds we sow today determine the fruits we reap tomorrow. In the International Slavery Museum in Liverpool, England, one can read Frederick Douglass’ thoughts on slavery. Douglas was a slave and human rights crusader. He writes:
“No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellowman without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.” When we dehumanize others, we dehumanize ourselves, too.
Bill Crowder writes:
“…our choices have consequences.—and that includes how we treat others. When we choose to hate, that hate can return to us in the form of consequences that we can never fully prepare for.
Today, I am reminded of the many instances when what we do to others we also do to ourselves. Indeed, life is so full of surprises. Today, we are on top, tomorrow we’re on the pit of disgrace. With this, I’ve learned five lessons:
1. It’s always better to give than to receive.

Time and again, we’ve been told that sharing is loving, that an act of giving is way, way better than receiving something. There’s something with giving without expecting something in return that makes me feel better. True generosity that stems from the desire of helping others is a reward in itself that no material possession could ever compensate. Give ‘til it hurts, indeed, but the hurt is only physical. A reward that’s unforeseen awaits him who knows how to give unconditionally, without in return.

2. You reap what you sow

Respect begets respect. Love begets love. Enmity begets enmity. With this, I have learned that how I treat people has an impact on how others treat and will treat me. I have made up my mind that there will be no more room for hatred. Yes, human as we are, we tend to be angry. It’s common. But I have resolved that I will never let anger run the course of my day. Learn how to dwell on the positive side. Choose to live under the rays of the sun.

3. Becoming a blessing to others is becoming a blessing to oneself

A lot of us would say leave within your means. But wouldn’t it be better to have more money? I don’t pray to have money so I could splurge on luxury. I pray for money so I could become a blessing to others. God has been really good to me. He has heard my prayers in one way or another. I know that. But I never cease on praying that He showers me with more blessings that I may become a blessing to more and more people. Our gifts, our talents, our material wealth are here not because we are free to use—and abuse—it the way we want. We are here because we have a mission to spread goodwill to others. We are here to create a ripple effect of abundant grace that should emanate throughout humanity.

4. Loving yourself is the greatest love of all

You will never learn to love others unless you have that utmost love for yourself. Not that kind of love that borders narcissism. But that kind of love that you know you care about yourself as much as you would to others. When you give yourself that utmost respect, you will learn how to value others and that will lead you to love others as well. And that feels good.

5. Simplicity is key to eternal bliss

We don’t give meaning to ourselves by the things we accumulate but the love that we give to others. Material possessions won’t add an inch to our existence. I am trying to learn how to undo with things that I don’t really need, but rather build relationships and help out others to improve their lives. Simplicity causes one to let go of what the eyes can see and focus instead on the more profound aspects of man’s existence: virtues, random acts of kinds, faith, spirituality. A strong sense of simplicity gives man the confidence to say no to material yearnings. Indeed, if you plant the seeds of simplicity, you reap the fruits of contentment. And that will make you fall asleep through the night.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews