Covid-19 Diary #2: Household Galore

A bunch of roses from my small garden.


March 23, 2020- Our University President announced that we have to strictly implement the work at home praise. Everyone at the faculty and staff chatgroup virtually rejoiced. Prior to that, the school had already observed a flexible work scheme, where employees working outside of Roxas City were required to render only a few days a week. However, that did not dispel the worry. Many of us travel to work via public utility vehicles and one doesn’t really know if he is sitting next to an infected person. As many cases are asymptomatic, you could only pray that you’re spared every day that you go to work.
Earlier today, I went to the public market to buy fresh produce. Fish, meat, vegetables, fruits. Enough to last me and my father for a week. Living with an alcoholic in times like this is a challenge. I worry that he might go out for a quick drink at the nearby store. He goes out at least once a day to buy his cigarettes. In the afternoon, he sits outside where the breeze is cool, a respite from the excruciating heat. Our house faces westward, so it could get hot in the afternoon.  That is why staying as home is a must for me or else he’d head on to his usual drinking spree. Good thing since our schedule was adjusted, I was able to spend the better part of the day at home. Now that work is suspended, I have to worries of leaving him on his own and has actually been sober for a few days now.

I have also done grocery shopping. The mall close to the university has closed its stores, except for its grocery and pharmacies. There was a queue at the grocery’s entrance, but the shoppers had to qualm. Social distancing was observed and I think a batch of 10 shoppers is allowed at a time. I still have ample stocks at home, but considering things spiraled quickly out of control the past few days, it’s better to be prepared when we are required to stay at home longer than we should.

Now that we have to stay at home, what should I do? So much! I’m thinking of making a bed to raise easy-growing vegetables so I could have a fresh supply of leafy greens in case my trip to the market is limited. Clearing the house from clutter is also on my mind. So far, I have succeed at boxing most of the books I don’t read anymore. I have already given a balikbayan box to a public high school, but I still have more. I am now dusting the furniture almost every-day and it is a challenge when you have so many stuff. Through the years I have acquired ceramics, blue and white china, vintage stuff, books, and many more. Now I ask myself, do I really need all of them? So, off they went to the box and I brought them to a spare room. All must go. Minimize and declutter is now a mantra. The living room has been cleared off and it looks more spacious. I’m working on my room now and I hope I could organize the storage because it looks really dishevelled…. And then my mind would wander off far and away, to hospitals and borders, where the fight against COVID-19 are now raging. What about our nurses and doctors? What about those who have little or none at all? The Philippines is in for rough seas and we could only wish for calmer days to come, but until this isn’t over, we all have to hold on.  

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews