Covid -19 Diary #3: Passing by the River and Old Houses


April 13 - Easter’s over and the home quarantine continues. It’s good to leave the confines of our home every now and then to take that much needed walk. I agree nature has never bloomed this much. Just look at the river and how it reflects the azure sky. This morning stroll took me to some quiet corner of the city, where, beside the river, I saw this secret space that reminds me of Iloilo’s riverside esplanade. The mayor’s  beautification projects is paying off. This was once a neglected part of the city center and look how tranquil it has become! I hope the vandals would appreciate what a lovely spot this is now.



I love old houses and I love listening to the stories that happened here. I got the chance to take pictures of them. Many still standing, albeit distressed by time and disregard. Some abandoned and half torn, totally forgotten. A friend once said, “if only these houses could speak, I wonder what stories would they tell?” Just like an old grandma, they’d definitely spill accounts of romance, intrigues, heartbreaks, war stories, gossips, and so on. Tales as old as time!



Here in McKinley Street, there’s this house that is still occupied. A familiar fruit stand occupies below.


Nearby is this half-torn bahay na bato. It was once occupied a bank and it laid empty for years. I know a rich family once lived here.



The walk continues to Magallanes Street. A distant relative used to live in this one and only art deco house in City. Sadly, her heir thought it better be an isawan and I think two or three hideous isawan now occupies what was once a sprawling ground.



Rows of old building. Aged but still standing. Barely.



I love this house. The ground floor is subleased into different businesses but it still remains in the family of the guy who built it. He was Octavio. I knew it because  his name was installed on the façade of this house.



Meanwhile, a few days ago, the President has extended the enhance community quarantine in Luzon until April 30. Originally, it should only last until April 14, but with mass testing now being done, the positive cases has spiraled and the Philippine has now the most number of COVID-19 patients in Southeast Asia. Our governor also extended the ECQ for the Province of Capiz until further noticed.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews