Boracay Before COVID-19

Just two weeks before the Philippines plunged into the COVID-19 outbreak, I decided to take the annual break to Boracay island.  Summer was just around the corner so before the island gets flocked by local and foreign tourists, I decided to go ahead and enjoy the country's summer paradise while hotels are cheaper. Little did I know that it would be my last out-of-Capiz trip until now. As of this writing, it's been eight months since I crossed the borders and I don't know when will I ever make another holiday outside the province. Meanwhile, I'm relishing myself with these beautiful memories and I'm sharing them with you. Have fun! 

Nothing compares to Boracay's white sand and cerulean waters. No wonder it is the country's top tourist destination, especially every summer. 

This is the view on the way to Caticlan Port. Towering coconut trees line the golden shores.  Boracay belongs to the town of Malay, which is the northernmost town in the Province of Aklan. It takes approximately three hours to travel from Roxas City, where I live, to reach the port at Caticlan. I took an L300 van to Kalibo, the capital of Aklan. I then transferred to another L300 van bound for Caticlan jetty port.   

Fishing communities still thrive along the coastlines of Malay and you pass by these small fishing boats resting on the white sand before reaching the port in the neighborhood of Caticlan. 

Welcome to Boracay! The crystal clear water is breathtaking.  From Caticlan Jetty Port, it takes 10 minutes for the boat to reach Boracay island. 

One of Boracay's most famous landmark is D'Mall. This is an outdoor shopping center where tourists could find restaurants, cafes and bars. It's also go-to place for  souvenir shopping.

Foreign tourists like to bask under the mid-day sun and they love the tan.  

The COVID-19 scare was already felt by the end of February and the near-empty shoreline is proof. 

Boracay is usually populous but since travel restrictions from China were already imposed by this time, fewer people are seen enjoying the white sand beach. 

The white sand stands out especially on midday. 

 It was good to see the white beach in this pristine setting, the sea was cerulean and clear, the shoreline half empty even in the midday.

Mindful of the need to avoid crowded places, I chose a charming hotel tucked on a hill and pretty isolated from the crowded coastal stations in the island.  Hotel Soffia Boracay  is a Mediterranean-style accommodation overlooking the sea.

I got my own cabana at the Hotel Soffia Boracay. Aside from the Mediterranean feel that takes me away from the scary world outside, I like the lush greenery and flowering perennials and annuals planted around the cabanas and in the gardens surrounding the property. 

My room has a view that overlooks the sea. Rooms are spacious  and relaxing, with hardwood floors and furnishings.

The Soffia Hotel is a 10-minute drive from the beach. A free shuttle for hotel guests is available to and from D'Mall, plus this green view to enjoy while waiting for the vehicle to fetch you. 

Palms and bougainvilleas are planted on the hotel ground. 

The outdoor pool has sweeping views of the ocean and the hill. 

The best time to indulge on the pool side is in the late afternoon. 

Not to miss when in Boracay is the sun set. 

I made sure I'm at the white sand when dusk settles because sunsets at the paradise island are really spectacular. 

The sky bursts with red-orange when the sun finally rests for the night. 

Life is exciting at night when in D'Mall. The boutiques and stores have friendly staff, but the prices aren't. 

Boracay has been reopened to local tourists but the Interagency Taskforce against COVID-19 has implemented strict measures to ensure that the island remains safe despite the pandemic. You can read the guide for tourists here

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews