Sunday Thoughts | I'm a Writer, not a Content Mill

February 19, 2023 - It was half past 10 o'clock in the evening already and I am preparing to sleep, but I cannot put off my phone because my interest still wouldn't let go of the online article that I was reading. Suddenly a Message popped out on my screen. 

"Sorry for the late notice... Are you still awake? can you write me a blah blah blah for this blah blah blah. We badly need this ASAP."

In my mind, I said, "No, you aren't sorry. No, you don't badly need it. And no, it isn't ASAP." The one who sent me the message was just panicky, I know.  

But just to make it clear, I am a writer, not a content mill. 

I had the habit of setting my Messenger alarm off, especially at night and on the weekends, but for this instance, I forgot about, so the message opened itself to me. 

People always think that because I can write, I can write anything. I love to write, it Is a form of self expression for me. Also, I have to love, or at least show interest, to what I write about if I am to produce a neat piece. But a lot of people just don't understand that. Just because I know how to combine words together doesn't mean I can produce a story instantly.  In fact there are days when I don't write at all. not even for myself because I don't feel like. And I dread it the most when I am asked to write when all I want is to stare blankly... or work on my garden... Or sleep... Or do something else but write. 

While there are writers who would tell aspiring ones to just keep writing until the story is done, there are also those who would suggest to stop writing after long days of work and let their work or the idea simmer. Get back to it after a few days or weeks, that is, after the mind is refreshed and the perspectives reset. 

In short, there is no single best way in writing. It is always up to the writer. And for me, for now, I write when there is a strong inner push, or when the desire overflows that my mind can't contain it anymore. Or there a sudden burst of inspiration comes by. Just like now, I felt writing this piece while I am in the middle of mopping the floor.

***

Sunday Thoughts is my weekend series where I write about my thoughts for the week that was and what transpired in life. Read more about my Sunday Thoughts via #ChristiansSundayThoughts or visit my blog http://ChristianGeorgeAcevedo.blogspot.com for more stories.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews