My Grandpa and My First Book

My grandpa helped nurture my love
 for reading.
It was December 24, 1996 and my cousins and I went to Christine's Gift Shop and Bookstore and I saw that huge story book I so wanted to own. I had no money and I went home disappointed. I really wanted to have that book, so I went to grandpa and asked if he could give me P99.00 so I could buy that book. He gave me 100. 

That afternoon, I returned with my cousin, and we bought that book. I had a very merry Christmas. I finished reading that book in one day and so, I wanted to read another one. So, on New Year's Day, I asked grandpa if he could buy me another book. So, off we went to the bookstore and grabbed another one. And so the passion for books continued and grandpa spoiled me a lot. Each pay day or so, we'd shop either a small booklet of ABC or coloring books--it would always be books. When a book dealer visits school to receive orders, I'd ask grand pa for money so I could buy one. I'd never fall head over heels for books, had it not been for my grandfather. 



But more than books, he was more than a grandfather figure for me. He raised me with grandma and made me who I am right now--resolute, sturdy, disciplined, honest, prayerful--even feisty and cantankerous sometimes, LOL! In times like this, My prayers are dedicated for him. I hope that when he and I and every else in the family wake up tomorrow, he'll be well and back to his feisty, normal self.

No comments:

Check out my most-read posts

Total Pageviews